The Fagulous Blog!

Learning the Fags of Life!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Love List Lucky #7: Bernadette Peters

Well, kittens, it is with great excitement that I share with you my love for Bernadette. Yes, it is occasioned by the fact that I saw her perform live in concert last night at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center in the final evening of this season's "American Songbook" series, and she was divine. We seriously could not have asked for a better songlist - "Unexpected Song" from Song and Dance, "Being Alive" from Company, "Not a Day Goes By" from Merrily We Roll Along, "Time Heals Everything" from Mack and Mabel and even a new ditty by THE SONDHEIM which was possible titled "Isn't He Something?"

But the truth is, I have been in love with this star since I was 5 years old. Every year I waited for the Tony awards with a ravenous hunger I can only compare to the how hungry the cast of America's Next Top Model is for humiliation. When Bernadette would appear with that corona of red curls and those gravity-defying strapless yay for boobies dresses, "Bernadette Dresses" I would forever think of them as, I would point and shout and exult until breathless. My father was in the original broadway orchestra of Into the Woods and she sent home gifts of candy to the families of the orchestra. I coveted this candy, petting it and imagining I could catch the lingering scent of her perfume on the bag. And all these years later, I still love her. Seeing her in concert was a dream come true.

Thank you Bernadette! You're one singular dame!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Nick Moore said…

    I saw her years ago in THE GOODBYE GIRL..not a great show but she could sing old fish and chip paper and make it moving and meaningful. Glad you're a fan too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home